O'Keeffe Flower

Name: Jan
Age: 54
Date: 1/16/08


Describe the tattoo which you are most proud of (ex. color, shape, style, etc.):

A small orange and yellow flower with a green leaf. The flower itself is sort-of a tribute to Georgia O'Keeffe, and the colors are a reminder of the Southwest, which is my favorite part of America.


What does it signify?

Georgia O'Keeffe was a traveler and a beautiful woman. Her travels from the East coast to the Southwest were incredible. I identify with that a lot. I don't identify with many women my age; I never have. But there's always been something so inspiring in her. I've lived my life, and I'm still standing. The flower is the kid in me and I'm still in there. I'm still dancing. I am myself, and I hope that doesn't offend. My father used to travel for his job on the railroad. He always photographed pictures of the Southwest. The flower reminds me of him, and all of the trips we took together there.

Why did you choose to tattoo?

Because I was 48, it was my wedding anniversary, and because I could. People ask me why, and I just say, "Because I can." When I was growing up, I couldn't even have pierced ears. I wanted to get a tattoo as soon as it became more acceptable. I realized that it was an art form. Normal people started to have a passion for tattoo, and I thought that was beautiful. Also, they finally started to have nice colors. I love color.

How do you feel as a woman with a tattoos?

When I was young, only sailors and Hells Angels had tattoos. Them and grease monkeys, anyways. If a girl got one, oh my God, well that's just right next door to sluthood. The jocks and the cheerleaders could do anything they wanted. The popular kids had a free pass to drugs, sex... anything. But no one could get a tattoo. Nowadays, it's totally different. A woman can have a tattoo and no one thinks less of her. And even if they do, why should she give a damn what they think? My tattoo is a symbol of my strength and a reminder of many things I've loved. I'm proud of my life and my tattoo and no one can change that.