Thai Orchid

Name: Elizabeth
Age: 22
Date: 1/22/08

Describe the tattoo which you are most proud of (ex. color, shape, style, etc.):

It's a Thai dendrobium orchid with a bit of a dark side. It has a lot of dark shading to give it that effect. It's also shaded with purples and pinks on the inside with a yellow center. There's green shading behind it to make it pop and to also bring in my first tattoo which is right about it.

What does it signify?

I got it as a "souvenir" of sorts to remember my trip to Thailand. I got it below my first tattoo which I got to represent home. All of my tattoos represent things and places that make me feel at home. I got the orchid darker to remind me of some of the bad things I say when I was in Thailand; the poverty and disease. The brightness in the petals and background represent all of the good things I saw.

Why did you choose to tattoo?

I got my first tattoo because I just felt the need to do it. I kept getting them because there are things I want to remember no matter where I end up.

How do you feel as a woman with a tattoos?

As a woman with a tattoo, I feel that I am completely happy with the choices I have made of designs to permanently have on my body. I do, however, feel judged at times by others when they find out I have tattoos. Since they're not in very visible spots, people are sometimes shocked and I can tell that it changes how they perceive me as a person. Even though I am not covered in ink, it gives people a different view of me. At times, it has even been a joke to others and they make me try to feel guilty.