Fear and Loathing Bats

Name: Sally
Age: 25
Date: 1/16/08

Describe the tattoo which you are most proud of (ex. color, shape, style, etc.):

My favorite tattoo happens to be my only tattoo (at the moment). It is a group of five bats on my right shoulder blade. They look like ink blots, so there's no distinct style to them at all. Not really new school or black and grey. My tattoo artist told me that they looked tribal because there is no shading. They're just big, black blobs. And I love them.

What does it signify?

They're taken from the book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson and illustrated by Ralph Stedman. To me, the bats serve as a reminder of the character of Dr. Thompson himself. He was an uncomprimising individual; a completely free spirit. He was never afraid to be himself and he never cared what other people thought of him. I wish I could be like that. Totally myself no matter what my situation. I never want to comprimise who I am or how I express myself. Also, my family never read. Fear and Loathing is the first book I ever read cover to cover, and I am strangely proud of that.

Why did you choose to tattoo?

I've wanted a tattoo since I was eight. My uncle Tim had a skull and spiderweb on his shoulder along with the words "I Love Mom." I remember being fascinated with them. Then my older cousin got a tribal tattooed around his arm when I was 13. I didn't particularly like the idea having any skulls or tribals on me, but I wanted to decorate my body with something that would last forever. I think that's the biggest thing: I looked up to my uncle and my cousin and I wanted to be like them... (ie bad ass), but I was never sure just what I would get. I thought that I would need to get something important; something integral to my human experience, but at the age of 17, I had no freaking idea what was integral to my human existence. I decided to put tattooing off until I found the image which encapsulated my very soul. Then when I was 24, I gave up trying and just tattooed myself with something I happened to liked at the time. I think that everything that is human is temporary. I'm a little goth girl at heart, so bats and dark imagery along with Hunter S. Thompson was a prefect fit.

How do you feel as a woman with a tattoos?

Honestly, I feel pretty awesome. Not only did I get through the pain of 5 tattoos at once, I got something big and dark and mysterious. It's not a fairy on top of a moon or a jumping dolphin or some other such girly nonsense on my ankle. No one else has my tattoo, so I think it's a strong reinforcement of my individuality. I don't particularly care what people think about my tattoos. I plan on getting a good deal more. It's strange to think that there's now a part of my body that I'm proud of. I'm hoping to get a sleeve done sometime soon, but I'm still debating what to get. I want something absolutely beautiful and delicate like one of DaVinci's sketches of women, but I'm still not sure. After I get my sleeve, my tattoos will be beautiful, delicate, and awesome. Just like me.