Northern Knot

Name: Laura
Age: 26
Date: 1/25/08

Describe the tattoo which you are most proud of (ex. color, shape, style, etc.):

It's called a Norther Knot. It's in black. There's a circle in the center and sort of a four-pointed star intertwined with the center circle.

What does it signify?

The vikings used this symbol as an amulet to promote healthy relationships. The center circle represents me and the intertwining star is all of the relationships in my life. It has extra meaning for me because I am Norwegian, like the vikings.

Why did you choose to tattoo?

I guess it's a way of carrying a piece of art around with me, as a reminder that all of the lives around me are connected to me. I think that tattoos are beautiful and can mean so many things to the person who has them. Not to mention the artist who actually applies the ink. And they don't go away. No matter how fickle or impulsive you are. So in a way, my tattoos are like a catalog. Some I'm proud of; some I'm not so proud of. But they are all a part of me. I'm a photographer, and in my profession, it's all about capturing a single moment and preserving it. My tattoos are moments of my life; my state of mind, my beliefs, my focus. And they're all there. In a little catalog for others to see and for me to remember.

How do you feel as a woman with a tattoos?

For the most part, I'm just damn proud. I'm tough. I'm daring. I don't scare easily. I don't subscribe to everyone's standard of "normal."