Thoreau

Name: Paige
Age: 25
Date: 1/17/08

Describe the tattoo which you are most proud of (ex. color, shape, style, etc.):

My tattoo is a quote by Henry David Thoreau or "HDT." It reads: "Dreams are the touchstones of our character." I got the quote done after reading his dream sequence books while living in England. It's black in a script style font that I wrote out myself. The tattoo runs along the outside of my forearm between my wrist and elbow in a straight line. It's simply a text tattoo.

What does it signify?

It signifies how I was reacting to humanity during that phase of my life. Thoreau thought a lot about how humans lived their lives and why they do the things they do. I feel I'm a lot like that. When I first meet people, I listen very closely to what they are saying and how they react to the conversation. I use that information not only to get to know them better, but also to see how they interact with the world around them. I realize that everyone is different and I love looking at those differences and how they effect our lives.

Why did you choose to tattoo?

I chose this tattoo because it was a quote that was meaningful to me and I wanted to share it with other people. I ended up deciding to get the quote tatooed on my arm because I wanted other to see it and think about it. Because I'm a fairly shy person, I would never come out and just ask someone that unless I knew them pretty well already. I thought a long time about where I wanted this quote placed and how I wanted it written. Originally, I was going to have it go across my chest in more of a block font so it was right there for people to see and read. Almost like a billboard. But after a little more thinking, I decided on my arm with a scripted handwriting. That way it's more of a game for people to see and read. If my arm is moving, people only get little peaks of it. Most people will them move their heads around so they can see what it is and what it says or they will simply as me what's on my arm. After they read it, I usually get some kind of a reaction from them. It's amazing how different people interpret and react to it. I love this tattoo! Not only does it represent me and my way of thinking, but it helps me get to know people and interact with them when they might normally never talk to me.

How do you feel as a woman with a tattoos?

Honestly, I never thought I would be the kind of woman to get a tattoo. Even after I got the first one, I said "Never again." But a few years later, I was getting another and then another. I love my tattoos. I feel like they are a visible time line of my life. Women that get tattoos are no different than any other women. It's just a different way to express yourself. I'm proud of them and I like to show people and tell them the stories behind each one. I also feel like they give me the power to come out of my shell.