Scottish Thistle

Name: Nichole
Age: 26
Date: 2/23/08

Describe the tattoo which you are most proud of (ex. color, shape, style, etc.):

A Scottish thistle with a banner running across the bottom. There's a very special date printed on the banner, too.

What does it signify?

The thistle is my husband. He's incredibly Scottish, which makes me Scottish by marriage. He even wore a kilt to our wedding. He asked me if it would be okay, and I said "Of Course!!!" Then I told everyone about what a Scotty wedding I was going to have. The date on the banner is our wedding day.


Why did you choose to tattoo?

Because tattoos are very meaningful in my family. We are very much a tattoo family. My uncle is completely covered... like head to toe. Even my ultra conservative aunt got one! It's just totally normal for me. I wanted to remember my wedding, so I got a tattoo. No one in my family thought anything of it.

How do you feel as a woman with a tattoos?

I don't think it changes me as a person at all. I think that if you want to get a tattoo to change the way people look at you, then don't get one. My tattoo is special to me and reminds me of my husband. That's all I need.

It did make me feel pretty tough to get it, though. I just laughed the whole time. I thought the process tickled. After I got mine, my husband got his from the same artist. The tattoo guy said to my husband, "Okay, you better not make a sound cause your wife just took the whole thing laughing and smiling. You'll look like a sissy."